back to Nyman’s home page
Click here for oil spill research
54 Peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, and proceedings chapters
(contact me directly for pdf versions of papers less than five years old):
Peer-reviewed journal articles
37. Lindau, C.W., A.E. Scaroni, V.H. Rivera-Monroy, and J.A. Nyman. 2011. Comparison of 15N2 Flux and Acetylene Inhibition Denitrification Methods in Atchafalaya River Basin Sediments. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 26: 337-334 DOI: 10.1080/02705060.2011.557480
36. O’Connell, J.L. and J.A. Nyman. in press. Effects of marsh pond terracing on coastal wintering waterbirds before and after Hurricane Rita. Environmental Management. DOI 10.1007/s00267-011-9741-1
35. Ford, M., and J.A. Nyman. 2011. Preface: an overview of the Atchafalaya River. Hydrobiologia. 658:1-5. DOI: 10.1007/s10750-010-0469-3
34. Scaroni, A.E., J.A. Nyman, and C.W. Lindau. 2011. Comparison of denitrification characteristics among three habitat types of a large river floodplain; Atchafalaya River Basin, Louisiana. Hydrobiologia. 658:17-25. DOI: 10.1007/s10750-010-0471-9
33. Scaroni, A.E., C.W. Lindau, and J.A. Nyman. 2010. Spatial variability of sediment denitrification across the Atchafalaya River Basin, Louisiana, USA. Wetlands. 30:949-955. DOI: 10.1007/s13157-010-0091-1
32. O’Connell, and J.A. Nyman. 2010. Marsh terraces in coastal Louisiana increase marsh edge and densities of waterbirds. Wetlands. 30:125-135. DOI: 10.1007/s13157-009-0009-y
31. Merino, J., D. Huval, and A.J. Nyman. 2010. Implication of nutrient and salinity interaction on the productivity of Spartina patens. Wetlands Ecology and Management 18:111-117. DOI: 10.1007/s11273-008-9124-4
30. Tobias, V.D., J.A. Nyman, R.D. DeLaune, and J.D. Foret. 2010. Improving marsh restoration: leaf tissue chemistry identifies factors limiting production in Spartina patens. Plant Ecology. 207:141-148. DOI: 10.1007/s11258-009-9660-x
29. Nyman, J.A., M.K. La Peyre, A. Caldwell, S. Piazza, C. Thom, C. Winslow. 2009. Defining restoration targets for water depth and salinity in wind-dominated Spartina patens (Ait.) Muhl. coastal marshes. Journal of Hydrology 376:327-336. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2009.06.001
28. Lindau, C.W., R.D. DeLaune, A.E. Scaroni and J.A. Nyman. 2008. Denitrification in cypress swamp within the Atchafalaya River Basin, Louisiana. Chemosphere 70:886-894. DOI: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2007.06.084
27. La Peyre, M.K., B. Gossman, and J.A. Nyman. 2007. Assessing functional equivalency of nekton habitat in enhanced habitats: Comparison of terraced and unterraced marsh ponds. Estuaries and Coasts 33 (3), 526-536.
26. Nyman, J.A., P.L. Klerks, and S. Bhattacharyya. 2007. Effects of chemical additives on hydrocarbon disappearance and biodegradation in freshwater marsh microcosms. Environmental Pollution 149:227-238. DOI: 10.1016/j.envpol.2006.12.028
25. Kanouse, S., M.K. La Peyre, and J.A. Nyman. 2006. Nekton use of Ruppia maritima and non-vegetated bottom habitat types within brackish marsh ponds. Marine Ecology Progress Series 327:61-69. DOI: 10.3354/meps327061
24. Nyman, J.A., R.J. Walters, R.D. DeLaune, and W.H. Patrick, Jr. 2006. Marsh vertical accretion via vegetative growth. Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science 69:370-380. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecss.2006.05.041
Merino, J.H., J.A. Nyman, and T. Michot.
2005. Effects of season and
marsh management on submersed aquatic vegetation in coastal
La Peyre, M.K., C.S. Bush Thom, C. Winslow, A. Caldwell and J. A. Nyman.
2005. Comparison of seed
bank size and composition in fringing, restored, and impounded marsh in
Bush Thom, C.S., M.K.G. La Peyre, and J.A. Nyman.
2004. Evaluation of nekton
use and habitat characteristics of restored
DeLaune, R.D, J.C. Callaway, W.H. Patrick, Jr., and J.A. Nyman.
2004. An analysis of marsh
accretionary processes in
Klerks, P.L., J.A. Nyman, and S. Bhattacharyya.
2004. Relationship between
hydrocarbon measurements and toxicity to a chirinomid, fish larvae, and daphnid
for oils and oil spill chemical treatments in laboratory freshwater marsh
Bhattacharyya, S., P.L. Klerks, and J.A. Nyman.
Toxicity to freshwater organisms from oils and oil spill chemical
treatments in laboratory microcosms.
Environmental Pollution 122:205-215.
17. Steyer, G.D., CE. Sasser, J.M. Visser, E.M. Swenson, J.A. Nyman, and R.C. Raynie. 2003. A proposed coast-wide reference monitoring system for evaluating wetland restoration trajectories. The Journal of Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 81:107-117. DOI: 10.1023/A:1021368722681
Pezeshki, S.R., M.W. Hester, Q. Lin, and J.A. Nyman.
2000. The effects of oil
spill and clean-up on dominant US Gulf Coast marsh macrophytes: a review.
Environmental Pollution 108:129-139.
15. Nyman, J.A. and R.D. DeLaune. 1999. Potential impacts of global sea-level rise on coastal marsh stability. Current Topics in Wetland Biogeochemistry 3:112-117.
Nyman, J.A. 1999.
Effects of crude oil and chemical additives on metabolic activity of
mixed microbial populations in fresh marsh soils.
Microbial Ecology 37:152-162.
Nyman, J.A., and R.H. Chabreck.
1996. Some effects of 30
years of weir management on coastal marsh aquatic vegetation and implications to
12. Callaway, J.C., J.A. Nyman, and R.D. DeLaune. 1996. Sediment accretion in coastal wetlands: a review and a simulation model of processes. Current Topics in Wetland Biogeochemistry 2:2-23.
Nyman, J.A., C.R. Crozier, and R.D. DeLaune.
1995. Roles and patterns of
hurricane sedimentation in an estuarine marsh landscape.
Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science 40:665-679.
Nyman, J.A., R.D. DeLaune, S.R. Pezeshki, and W.H. Patrick, Jr.
1995. Organic matter fluxes
and marsh stability in a rapidly submerging estuarine marsh.
Crozier, C.R., J.A. Nyman, and R.D. DeLaune.
1994. Symbiotic N fixation
by Vigna luteola, a legume of
low-salinity Gulf coast marshes.
8. DeLaune, R.D., J.A. Nyman, and W.H. Patrick, Jr. 1994. Peat collapse, ponding, and wetland loss in a rapidly submerging coastal marsh. Journal of Coastal Research 10:1021-1030.
7. Pardue, J.H., R.D. DeLaune, W.H. Patrick, Jr., and J.A. Nyman. 1994. Treatment of alligator farm wastewater using land application. Aquacultural Engineering 13:129-145.
Nyman, J.A., M. Carloss, R.D. DeLaune, and W.H. Patrick, Jr.
1994. Erosion rather than
plant dieback as the mechanism of marsh loss in an estuarine marsh.
Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 19:69-84.
Nyman, J.A. R.D. DeLaune, H.H. Roberts, and W.H. Patrick, Jr.
1993. Relationship between
vegetation and soil formation in a rapidly submerging coastal marsh.
Marine Ecology Progress Series 96:269-279.
Nyman, J.A., R.H. Chabreck, and N. Kinler.
1993 Some effects of
herbivory and 30 years of weir management on emergent vegetation in a brackish
3. Nyman, J.A. and R.D. DeLaune. 1991. CO2 emission and soil Eh responses to different hydrological conditions in fresh, brackish, and saline marsh soils. Limnology and Oceanography 36:1406-1414.
Nyman, J.A., R.H. Chabreck, and R.G. Linscombe.
1990. Effects of weir
management on marsh loss,
Nyman, J.A., R.D. DeLaune, and W.H. Patrick, Jr.
1990. Wetland soil formation
in the rapidly subsiding Mississippi River Deltaic Plain: mineral and organic
Coastal and Shelf Science 31:57-69.
Peer-reviewed book chapters
8. Nyman, J.A., and R.H. Chabreck. in press. Management of coastal wetlands. Pages xxx-xxx in N.J. Silvy, editor Techniques for wildlife investigations and management. Seventh Edition. The Wildlife Society, Bethesda, Maryland, USA.
7. Nyman, J.A. 2011. Ecological functions of wetlands. pages 115-128 In B. La Page (editor) Wetlands: Integrating Multidisciplinary Concepts. Springer Science. ISBN 978-94-007-0550-0
Keddy, P.A., L. Gough, J.A. Nyman, T. McFalls, J. Carter, and J. Siegrist.
2009. Alligator hunters,
pelt traders, and runaway consumption of
5. Faulkner, S.P., J.L. Chambers, W.H. Conner, R.F. Keim, J.W. Day, E.S. Gardiner, M.S. Hughes, S.L. King, K.W. McLeod, C.A. Miller, J.A. Nyman, and G.P. Shaffer. 2007. Conservation and Use of Coastal Wetland Forests in Louisiana. P. 447-460 in: W.H. Conner, T.W. Doyle, and K.W. Krauss (editors), The Ecology of Tidal Freshwater Swamps of the Southeastern United States. Springer. The Netherlands. ISBN 978-9048172825
Keim, R.F., J. L.Chambers, M. S.Hughes, J.A. Nyman, C.A. Miller, J.B.
Amos, W.H. Conner, J.W. Day, Jr. S.P. Faulkner, E.S. Gardiner, S.L. King, K.W.
McLeod, and G.P. Shaffer. 2006.
Ecological consequences of changing hydrological conditions in wetland
forests of coastal
Chambers, J.L, R.F. Keim, W.H. Conner, John W. Day, Jr., S.P. Faulkner,
E.S. Gardiner, M.S. Hughes, S.L. King, K.W. McCleod, C.A. Miller, J.A. Nyman,
and G.P. Shaffer. 2005.
2. Chabreck, R.H., and J.A. Nyman. 2005. Management of coastal wetlands. Pages 839-860 in C.E. Braun, editor Techniques for wildlife investigations and management. Sixth Edition. The Wildlife Society, Bethesda, Maryland, USA. ISBN 9780933564152
1. Pezeshki, S.R., R.D. DeLaune, J.A. Nyman, J. Catallo, C.A. Ochs, S.A. Milburn, J. M. Melack, L. Mertes, L. Hess, and B. Forsberg. 2003. Wetland Biogeochemistry. pages 125-156 In: M.M. Holland, E. Blood, and L.R. Shaffer, (eds.) Achieving sustainable freshwater systems, Island Press, Washington. ISBN 1-55963-929-6
Peer-reviewed proceedings articles
9. Nyman, J.A. 2002. Nutrient storage rates in a natural marsh receiving waste water. pages 135-139 In M.M. Holland, M.L. Warren, and J.A. Stanturf (eds.) Proceedings of a conference on sustainability of wetlands and water resources: How well can riverine wetlands continue to support society into the 21st Century? U.S.D.A. Forest Service, Southern Research Station, Asheville, North Carolina.
Nyman, J.A., and R.H. Chabreck.
1995. Fire in coastal
marshes: history and recent concerns.
In R.T. Engstrom (ed.)
pages 135-141 In S.I. Cerulean and R.T. Engstrom (eds.).
Proceedings 19th Tall Timbers Fire Ecology Conference- Fire in wetlands:
a management perspective. Tall
Timbers Research, Inc.
7. Pezeshki, S.R., R.D. DeLaune, J.A. Nyman, R.R. Lessard, and G.P. Canevari. 1995. Removing oil and saving oiled marsh grass using a shoreline cleaner. Proceedings of the 1995 Oil Spill Conference. American Petroleum Institute, Washington, D.C. 1995:203-209.
Nyman, J.A. and R.D. DeLaune.
1993. A preliminary
comparison of vegetation and soil in healthy and deteriorating brackish marsh,
Nyman, J.A., M. Carloss, R.D. DeLaune, and W.H. Patrick, Jr.
1993. Are landscape patterns
related to marsh loss processes?
pages 337-348 In O.T. Magoon et al. (eds.)
Coastal Zone '93, Proc. 8th Symposium Coastal Ocean Manage.
Am. Soc. Civil Engineers.
Nyman, J.A., R.H. Chabreck, R.D. DeLaune, and W.H. Patrick, Jr.
salt-water intrusion, and managed Gulf Coast Marshes.
Coastal Zone '93. pages 1690-1704
In O.T. Magoon et al. (eds.)
Coastal Zone '93, Proc. 8th
Symposium Coastal Ocean Manage.
Volume II. Am. Soc. Civil
Nyman, J.A., R.D. DeLaune, W.H. Patrick, Jr., and H.H. Roberts.
1993. Relationships among
vegetation, mineral sediments, and vertical accretion in coastal marshes.
pages 166-169 In
M.C. Landin (editor).
Wetlands: Proceeding of the 13th Annual Conference of the Society of Wetland
Nyman, J.A., and R.D. DeLaune.
1991. Mineral and organic
matter accumulation rates in coastal deltaic marshes and their importance to
landscape stability. pages 166-170
In Coastal Depositional
Systems of the
Chabreck, R.H., and J.A. Nyman.
1989. The effects of weirs
on plants and wildlife in the coastal marshes of