Bonnet Carre Spillway opens again
Flooding along the Mississippi River has led to the opening of the Bonnet Carre Spillway for the second time in five years. LSU AgCenter correspondent Craig Gautreaux has the story on how the opening affects the ecology of the outflow area, with comments by Dr. Richard Keim, RNR Faculty and LSU AgCenter Forested Wetland Hydrologist.
RNR Student Wins a Top Prize at Recent SAF Meeting
Cory Garms, an RNR Graduate Student, working under Dr. Tom Dean, was awarded second place for his student presentation at the recent Society of American Foresters, meeting in Baton Rouge. His presentation was entitled, "Relative Resistance to Overturning of Pinus palustris and Pinus taeda L.: A Static Winching Experiment", The SAF Forest Science and Technology Board only recognizes the top three presentations for the entire meeting. Congratulations Cory!
Dr. Taylor Recognized as
Congratulations to Dr. Sabrina Taylor, named by the LSU Alumni Association as one of this year's "Rising Stars"
Each spring, the University recognizes the teaching, research, and service accomplishmets of its faculty with more than 120 awards presented at the Distinguished Faculty Awards Ceremony. Twenty-four of the individuals honored this year received awards underwritten by the LSU Alumni Association, including the ten recipients of the new Rising Faculty Research Awards
More information on Dr. Taylor and her research program (and the other recipients of this year's recognition) is available in the current issue of the LSU Alumni Magazine. The online edition for Winer 2015/volume 91, number 4, can be accessed here.
Use of Microbes in Oil Spill Cleanup
The Fall issue of Louisiana Agriculture Magazine is out; the theme of the issue is "Living with Both Bad and Beneficial Microbes. " One of the featured articles, by Dr. Andy Nyman, is Use of Microbes in Oil Spill Cleanup.
Article of the Year Honors
Go To Dr. Keim
Congratulations are in order for Dr. Richard Keim on his Louisiana Agriculture Magazine Article of the Year Award! The article, Water Management at Catahoula Lake (linked below), appeared in the Summer 2015 volume of Lousiana Agriculture Magazine.
RNR Featured Articles
(click title for article)
- Water Management at Catahoula Lake - Richard Keim
- Sediment and Nutrient Sluicing to Restore University Lake - Y. Jun Xu
- Long-term Nutrient Change in the Mermentau and Vermilion Rivers - Songjie He and Y. Jun Xu
Louisiana Agriculture is the quarterly magazine published by the LSU AgCenter to keep our constituents informed about our research and extension efforts. This issue includes articles on a variety of topics that affect Louisiana’s agriculture industry and the environment. The magazine is also available in e-book form for your iPad, Kindle or other electronic device. If you would like a printed copy or if you have any questions or if you want to unsubscribe from this list, please contact the editor, Linda Benedict. The LSU AgCenter is here to serve you.
-- Quick News --
- Schedules are now posted for the 2016 Spring Seminar Series: RNR Seminars, LSU Museum of Natural Science Seminar, and Systematics, Ecology and Evolution Seminar Series. PDFs of each schedule for the Spring semester are avaialble on our Seminars page
- 4th Quarter 2015 Timber Tales is now available. The details and a link to the newsletter are available on our Extensions page.
- Spring 2015 issue of "Research Matters" has been posted to the site. It is available on the "Research Matters" page.
- The Student Chapter of Society of American Foresters (SAF) has a new way to keep you informed, share their news and events, and keep in touch: They now have a Facebook page. LIKE their page, and keep up with all the latest! Support your local (student) Foresters!
This is our office!
What does yours look like?
Check out our videos that shows why the School of Renewable Natural Resources is the place to be!
Study Abroad in Swaziland
Get all the details of this story on our Student News page.