- B.S. in Forestry (Soil Chemistry), Beijing Forestry University, China, 1982
- M.S. in Soils and Silviculture, University of Göttingen, Germany, 1987
- Ph.D. in Soils and Hydrology, University of Göttingen, Germany, 1991
- Hydrologic and biogeochemical processes and modeling
- Riverine nutrient and sediment transport
- Impacts of land use and global climate change on hydrologic and biogeochemical cycles
- GIS/RS applications in water resources
COURSES DEVELOPED and TAUGHT
- RNR 4151 – Hydrology of Natural Landscapes
- RNR 4900 / ENVS 4900 – Watershed Hydrology
- RNR 7003 – Graduate Seminar – Watershed Science and Water Resources
- RNR 7029 – Special Topics on Global Change and Biogeochemical Cycles
- RNR 7151 / ENVS 7151 – Watershed Hydrology and Floodplain Analysis
- RNR 7061 / ENVS 7061 – Water Quality Management and Policy
- RNR 7151 / ENVS 7151 – Watershed Hydrology and Floodplain Analysis
- International conferences organized
- Steering committee member for: “The 4th International Symposium on Water Resources and Sustainable Development (CIREDD'4),” February 2011, Algiers, Algeria
- Co-organized and chaired (with Prof. Vijay P. Singh): “The International Conference on Challenges in Coastal Hydrology and Water Quality,” May 2006, USA.
- Proposal review
- Ad hoc proposal reviewer for NSF, NASA, USGS, USDA CSREES, USDA Forest Service, EPA, NOAA, Texas Sea Grant College Program, Wisconsin Sea Grant College Program
- Proposal review panelist for CSREES (2008, 2009), NSF (2009, 2011, 2012, 2013)
- Journal editorship
- Associate Editor, Water, 2012 – present
- Associate Editor, Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 2010 – 2012
- Associate Editor, Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 2006-2008
- Assistant to Editor in Chief, Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 2004-2006
SEELCTED PUBLICATIONS from the past 10 years
- Xu, Y. J. and V. P. Singh (eds). 2006. Coastal Environment and Water Quality. 519pp. Water Resources Publications LLC, Highlands Ranch, Colorado, USA. (ISBN 1-887201-47-5)
- Singh, V. P. and Y. J. Xu (eds). 2006. Coastal Hydrology and Processes. 509pp. Water Resources Publications LLC, Highlands Ranch, Colorado, USA. (ISBN 1-887201-46-7)
- Book Chapters
- Rosen, T., Y.J. Xu, Z. Ma, and X. Xu. 2013. What can we learn from recent development of the Atchafalaya River Delta, USA and the Yellow River Delta, China? In Y. Gorden and G. Perillo (ed.): Deltas: Landforms, Ecosystems and Human Activities, p xxx-yyy, IAHS Publication 358, Wallingford, UK.
- Xu, Y.J. and A. BryantMason. 2011. Determining the nitrate contribution of the Red River to the Atchafalaya River in the northern Gulf of Mexico under changing climate. In J. Peters (ed.): Water Quality: Current Trends and Expected Climate Change Impacts, p95-100, IAHS Publication 348, Wallingford, UK.
- Xu, Y.J. 2010. Long-term sediment transport and delivery of the largest distributary of the Mississippi River, the Atchafalaya, USA. In K. Banasik, A. Horowitz, P.N. Owens, M. Stone, and D.E. Walling (eds.): Sediment Dynamics for a Changing Future, p282-290, IAHS Publication 337, Wallingford, UK.
- Xu, Y.J., K. Wu and V. P. Singh. 2006. Hydrological sensitivity of coastal watersheds in the northern Gulf of Mexico to climate change. In V. J. Singh & Y. J. Xu (eds.): Coastal Hydrology and Processes, p71-88, Water Resources Publications, LLC, Highlands Ranch, CO, USA.
- Articles in Refereed Journals
- Rosen, T., and Y.J. Xu. 2013. Recent decadal growth of the Atchafalaya River Delta complex: effects of variable riverine sediment input and vegetation succession. Geomorphology, 10.1016/j.geomorph.2013.04.020. 6).
- Rosen, T. and Y.J. Xu. (in press) Estimation of sedimentation rates in the distributary basin of the Mississippi River, the Atchafalaya River Basin, USA. Hydrology Research.
- Xu, Y.J. 2013. Transport and retention of nitrogen, phosphorus, and carbon in North America’s largest river swamp basin, the Atchafalaya River Basin. Water 5:379-393; doi: 10.3390/w5020379.
- BryantMason, A., and Y. J. Xu. 2012. The record 2011 spring flood of the Mississippi River - How much nitrate was exported from its largest distributary, the Atchafalaya River, into the Gulf of Mexico? Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)HE.1943-5584.0000660.
- BryantMason, A., Y. J. Xu, and M. Altabet. 2012. Isotopic signature of nitrate in river waters of the lower Mississippi and its distributary, the Atchafalaya. Hydrological Processes, DOI: 10.1002/hyp.9420.
- DaSilva, A., Y. J. Xu, J. Beebe, and G. Ice. 2012. Effects of timber harvesting on dissolved oxygen in a northern Louisiana headwater stream. Forest Science (in press).
- Rosen, T. and Y. J. Xu. 2011. Riverine sediment inflow to Louisiana Chenier Plain in the Northern Gulf of Mexico. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, doi:10.1016/j.ecss.2011.09.013.
- Wang, F., Y. J. Xu, and T. Dean. 2011. Projecting climate change effects on forest net primary productivity in subtropical Louisiana, USA. AMBIO DOI 10.1007/s13280-011-0135-7.
- Zhong, B. and Y. J. Xu. 2011. Risk of inundation to coastal wetlands and soil organic carbon and organic nitrogen accounting in Louisiana, USA. Environmental Science & Technology 45: 8241-8246.
- Zhong, B., and Y .J. Xu. 2011. Scale effects of geographical soil datasets on soil carbon estimation in Louisiana, USA – A comparison of STATSGO and SSURGO. Pedosphere 21: 491-501.
- Wang, F. and Y .J. Xu. 2010. Comparison of remote sensing change detection techniques for assessing hurricane damage to forests. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 162: 311-326.
- Zhong, B. and Y. J. Xu. 2009. Topographic effects on soil organic carbon in Louisiana watersheds. Environmental Management 43: 662-672.
- Wang, F. and Y .J. Xu. 2009. Hurricane Katrina-induced forest damage in relation to ecological factors at landscape scale. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 156: 491-507.
- Wang, F. and Y J. Xu. 2008. Development and application of a remote sensing-based salinity prediction model for a large estuarine lake in the US Gulf of Mexico coast. Journal of Hydrology 360: 184-194.
- Feng, Z., R. Brumme, Y. J. Xu, and N. Lamersdorf. 2008. Tracing the fate of mineral N compounds under high ambient N deposition in a Norway spruce forest at Solling/Germany. Forest Ecology and Management 255:2061-2073.
- Wu, K., and Y. J. Xu. 2007. Long-term freshwater and sediment input to Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana, USA. Hydrological Sciences Journal 52(1):166-179.
- Wu, K., and Y. J. Xu. 2006. Evaluation of the applicability of the SWAT model for coastal watersheds in southeastern Louisiana. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 42(5):1247-1260.
- Xu, Y. J. 2006. Total nitrogen inflow and outflow from a large river swamp basin to the Gulf of Mexico. Hydrological Sciences Journal 51(3):531-542.
- Xu, Y. J., and K. Wu. 2006. Seasonality and interannual variability of freshwater inflow to a large oligohaline estuary in the Northern Gulf of Mexico. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 68 (3-4):619-626.
- Xu, Y. J. 2006. Organic nitrogen retention in the Atchafalaya River Swamp. Hydrobiologia 560 (1):133-143.
- Borken, W., Y.J. Xu, and F. Beese. 2004. Ammonium, nitrate and dissolved organic nitrogen in seepage water as affected by compost amendment to European beech, Norway spruce, and Scots pine forests. Plant and Soil 258:121- 134.
- Borken, W., Y.J. Xu, and F. Beese. 2004. Leaching of dissolved organic carbon and carbon dioxide emission after compost application to six nutrient-depleted forest soils. Journal of Environmental Quality 33:89-98.
- Borken, W., Y.J. Xu, and F. Beese. 2003. Conversion of hardwood forests to spruce and pine plantations strongly reduced soil methane sink in Germany. Global Change Biology 9:956-966.
- Borken, W., Y.J. Xu, E.R. Davidson, and F. Beese. 2002. Site and temporal variation of soil respiration in European beech, Norway spruce, and Scots pine forests. Global Change Biology 8:1-12.
- Xu, Y.J., J.A. Burger, W.M. Aust, S.C. Patterson, M. Miwa, and D.P. Preston. 2002. Changes in surface water table depth and soil physical properties after harvest and establishment of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) in Atlantic coastal plain wetlands in South Carolina. Soil & Tillage Research 63:109-121.
- Borken, W., R. Brumme, and Y.J. Xu. 2000. Effects of prolonged soil drought and variation of CH4 concentration on CH4 oxidation in a temperate spruce forest. Journal of Geophysical Research 105:7079-7088.
- Xu, Y.J., J.A. Burger, W.M. Aust, and S.C. Patterson. 2000. Responses of surface hydrology and early loblolly pine growth to soil disturbance and site preparation in a lower coastal plain wetland. New Zealand Journal of Forestry Science 30:250-265.